In Brandy for the Parson, a couple become entangled with smugglers. Based on the novel of the same name by Geoffrey Household (best known for Rogue Male), the film stars Kenneth More, James Donald, and Charles Hawtrey.
Tuesday, May 22, 2018
Monday, May 21, 2018
MWA Classics edition of Blood on Their Hands has been published and is now available in paperback and ebook from amazon. Edited by Lawrence Block, the collection focuses on characters who take the law into their own hands. "No Man's Land," my Agatha-winning and Macavity-nominated short story set in World War I, is included in the collection, along with stories by Rhys Bowen, Marcia Talley, Elaine Viets, and the late Jeremiah Healy and Henry Slesar.
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Monday, May 14, 2018
Mysteries Revealed Book Illustration: Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys," an exhibition of original cover art and first editions of both children's series.
Tuesday, May 08, 2018
In this episode of Suspense directed by Robert Stephens and aired on 24 April 1951, a killer (Jackie Cooper) tries to escape from a building after a botched robbery, only to encounter the eccentric members of the "International Association of Assassins" (possibly suggesting the Mystery Writers of America. Blacklisted writer Alvin Sapinsley, who wrote the screenplay, later received an Edgar Award for "Sting of Death," the TV adaptation of H.F. Heard's A Taste for Honey). Mildred Natwick (clutching a cat) and Wally Cox costar.
Monday, May 07, 2018
- John Dickson Carr, The Devil in Velvet. "swashbuckling romance . . . strict detection."
- Agatha Christie, They Came to Baghdad, . "adept . . . spy thriller."
- Dorothy Salisbury Davis, A Gentle Murderer. "distinguished."
- Cyril Hare [Alfred Alexander Gordon Clark], An English Murder . "adroit . . . social satire."
- Geoffrey Household, A Rough Shoot and A Time to Kill. "realistic political melodrama."
- Michael Innes, The Paper Thunderbolt. "funny and chilling."
- Eric Linklater, Mr. Byculla. "Deft."
- John Ross Macdonald [Ross Macdonald, Kenneth Millar], The Way Some People Die. "a worthy successor to Dashiell Hammett."
- William McGivern, Shield for Murder. "Complex and memorable study of a rogue cop."
- Ngaio Marsh, Night at the Vulcan. "Marsh's best to date."
- Elliott Paul, Murder on the Left Bank. "Fun."
- Ellery Queen, The Origin of Evil. "intricate ingenuity."
- John Sherwood, Mr. Blessington's Imperialist Plot. "Ruritanian spy-melodrama."
- Bart Spicer, Black Sheep, Run and The Golden Door. "appealing variants on the hardboiled story."
- Julian Symons, The 31st of February. "Striking satire."
- Lawrence Treat, Big Shot. "A notable novel about detectives."
Tuesday, May 01, 2018
|Claire Trevor, Sheldon Leonard, and |
Burgess Meredith in Street of Chance (1942)