|Dana Wynter in "Laura" (1955)|
Tuesday, March 29, 2016
Monday, March 28, 2016
|Illustration by Sidney Paget for |
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. Wellcome Library, London
I fear that my good nature in giving explanationsIn "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes: The Field Bazaar (Illustrated)" for The Green Bag Almanac & Reader, lawyer David Hutchinson and George Mason University law professor Ross E. Davies team up for a presentation of "The Field Bazaar," a lighthearted Holmes-Watson outing by Arthur Conan Doyle that appeared in the 20 Nov. 1896 issue of The Student magazine of Edinburgh University (Conan Doyle's alma mater). Hutchinson provides some Sidney Paget-like illustrations for the piece. (thanks to Law & Humanities blog)
has seriously compromised my reputation.
—Sherlock Holmes, "The Field Bazaar" (1896)
Friday, March 25, 2016
Mystery Readers International. The award will be presented today by the Detective/Mystery Caucus of the Popular Culture Association; the chair of the Dove Award Committee is Rachel Schaffer (Montana State University Billings). Past Dove recipients include Frankie Y. Bailey (University at Albany, SUNY), Douglas G. Greene, P. D. James, H. R. F. Keating, Maureen Reddy (Rhode Island College), J. K. Van Dover (Lincoln University), and yours truly.
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Library of Congress,
Prints and Photographs Div.
Monday, March 21, 2016
|New York mayor Fiorello LaGuardia (back seat, right) takes a spin |
in a New York World's Fair police car, ca. 1939–40. NYPL.
- Baltimore City Police Motors Unit
- Police vehicles, Carbondale (IL) Police Department
- Massachusetts State Police horseback patrols, 1920s–1930s
- Metropolitan policewomen on motorcycles, London, 1920
- Metropolitan Police car and motorcycle, London, ca. 1935
- Vehicles gallery, National Border Patrol Museum
- Ohio State Highway patrol vehicles
- Police car retrospective
- Restoration of a 1972 Plymouth Fury patrol car, Pennsylvania State Police
- Portland Police Mounted Patrol, Portland (OR) Police Museum
- Historic fleet, San Diego Police Museum
- Vintage police cars, Seattle Metropolitan Police Museum
- Patrol wagon-ambulance, Trenton (NJ) Police Museum, ca. 1910
- Police jeeps, US Air Force police, 1950s
Tuesday, March 15, 2016
Tuesday, March 08, 2016
|Publicity shot of |
Dick Powell, 1937.
Monday, March 07, 2016
Going into the room, I saw something rolled up perpendicularly in the bed curtains. Miss Mybus had made herself modestly invisible in that way.
—Wilkie Collins, "Mr. Policeman and the Cook"
|Wilkie Collins, NYPL|
Tuesday, March 01, 2016
|Franchot Tone, left, and Roland Young |
in The Unguarded Hour
There also are some radio versions: a 1944 Lux Radio Theater production with Robert Montgomery, Loraine Day, and a reprise by Roland Young, plus a 1952 Theatre Guild on the Air version with Nina Foch and Michael Redgrave.